[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jun 27 20:23:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:14 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>  I imagine a lot of people are like me: not interested.  For a
> number of reasons:
>      1. The sets are too expensive.  What I have (SDTV) works perfectly
>         fine.  Why would I spend (a lot of) money to replace it?

You're from Canada according to your e-mail address. If you aren't a
hockey fan, some of your friends probably are. Ask them if there is a
difference between watching hockey in SD vs. HD. No contest. Same for
NFL football here in the US. I want HD mainly for sporting events.
You're right, if I'm watching "ER", then I don't much care that it's in
HD (although since I have it, and it's available, of course I use it).
But for football and hockey, HD makes a really big difference. About the
same amount of difference that color makes over black-and-white.

But you are correct that, in the end, it's a matter of personal
preference. I suspect that, in time, the prices of HD equipment will
start to come down to the point where the price difference is much less
than the quality difference, at which point SD will go the way of B&W,

--Greg