[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:09:49 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:

>  *HDTV Penetration Will Hit 36% In 2007*<http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=63061&Nid=31775&p=416179>
> *by Erik Sass: By the end of 2007, 16 million high-definition TVs will be
> sold, bringing the total to 52.5 million in the U.S. That's 36%
> penetration of households, according to new figures from the Consumer
> Electronics Association. The irony? Only 44% of HDTV owners actually receive
> HD programming. Some blame cost, others use the technology for movie and
> gaming experiences. - **Read the whole story*<http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=63061&Nid=31775&p=416179>
> *...*
>

> Wow that figure blows me away it's so low. Basically if people replace
> their tv's every 5 years (eg 20% a year) then their is no 'rapid' deployment
> of HD sets, it's just the natural replacement cycle that is growing year on
> year as it normally would any other TV 'feature'.
>
> I mean I have been dissapointed that out of the 400 or so channels here on
> Time Warner NY we only have about 20 or so in HD, but based on those figures
> I can see why networks aren't exactly rushing out to replace everything in
> HD.
>
> Any comments?
>

> Cheers,
> Dean
>
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/hd-tvs-slow-addoption.html

You think the average consumer replaces their TV every five years?  I'd say
more like every fifteen years if not longer.

HD is only worth it to the consumer if the programing they watch is in HD.
If your favorite channel is Gameshow Network then guess what you don't have
any pressing interest in moving to HD.  If, like me, you watch several
primetime broadcast network shows (OTA HD) then buying a new HD TV makes
more sense.