[mythtv-users] Any Gentoo MythWeb users who could help out?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 19:50:36 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > dragonfly mythweb # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> > * Stopping apache2 ...
> > apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
> > using 192.168.1.55 for ServerName
> >
> [ ok ]
> > * Starting apache2 ...
> > apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
> > using 192.168.1.55 for ServerName
> >
> [ ok ]
> > dragonfly mythweb #
> >
> >    Should I fix that (how?) or should I possible use this section from
> > .htaccess?
> >

> This is because you have not properly set /etc/conf.d/domainname and
> /etc/conf.d/hostname
>
> John

Clearly! :-)  What's proper?

/etc/conf.d/domainname says

OVERRIDE=1
DNSDOMAIN=homenetwork
NISDOMAIN=""

/etc/conf.d/hostname says

HOSTNAME=dragonfly

I've not understood, until now possibly, why this would matter. I just
use machine names mapped to static IP addresses in /etc/hosts and all
the machines can find each other. However I suppose if I have to run a
server like Apache then I should do it right.

I presume that the hostname should somehow be qualified with the
DNSDOMAIN but what's the proper format? And do I need to change my
hosts file also?

Thanks,
Mark