[mythtv-users] FW:HD TV's Slow Addoption

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Wed Jun 27 13:00:42 UTC 2007

HDTV Penetration Will Hit 36% In 2007
<http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=6
3061&Nid=31775&p=416179> by Erik Sass: By the end of 2007, 16 million
high-definition TVs will be sold, bringing the total to 52.5 million in
the U.S. That's 36% penetration of households, according to new figures
from the Consumer Electronics Association. The irony? Only 44% of HDTV
owners actually receive HD programming. Some blame cost, others use the
technology for movie and gaming experiences. - Read the whole story
<http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=6
3061&Nid=31775&p=416179> ...

Wow that figure blows me away it's so low. Basically if people replace
their tv's every 5 years (eg 20% a year) then their is no 'rapid'
deployment of HD sets, it's just the natural replacement cycle that is
growing year on year as it normally would any other TV 'feature'.

I mean I have been dissapointed that out of the 400 or so channels here
on Time Warner NY we only have about 20 or so in HD, but based on those
figures I can see why networks aren't exactly rushing out to replace
everything in HD.

Any comments?

Cheers,
Dean