[mythtv-users] Minimum RAM requirements for Mythdora 4.0?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 27 11:59:34 UTC 2007

Brad Patterson wrote:
> I just installed Mythdora 4.0 last night, and I must say that it works
> very nicely!  I do have one problem though, which is that my system is
> WAAAAY slow; especially in comparison to when I run Knoppmyth on this
> same PC.  The PC is an Athlon 850 with 384MB of ram.

Also: That CPU is marginal, and probably unusable for HD, at least
without XvMC, and perhaps marginal even then.

For SD, with H/W encoding, it will work if you don't try and do too many
things at once. I would not, for example, try watching a playback while
commflagging and creating a DVD at the same time.

I think the latest MythDora is using a more resource-hungry desktop than
Knoppmyth, that's going to tax your system as well.

I'd give serious thought to picking up a P4 or faster Athlon box for a
B/E or a combo, they can be had for well under $200 (P4 2.4Ghz w/512M
RAM are around $175 or less used, less with no OS, and an Athlon64 3500
with 512M RAM, DVD burner and Vista (not that you'd want that) for
around $250).

In fact, I see a PentiumD 3.0 Ghz, 1GB of RAM, 250GB HDD and a DVDRW
drive for $350.

These are REAL prices, not "After Rebate".

Computers are CHEAP these days, they only get pricey of you want small
and/or quiet, why fool around with antiques ?

BEWW