[mythtv-users] Minimum RAM requirements for Mythdora 4.0?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 27 11:42:36 UTC 2007

Brad Patterson wrote:
> I just installed Mythdora 4.0 last night, and I must say that it works
> very nicely!  I do have one problem though, which is that my system is
> WAAAAY slow; especially in comparison to when I run Knoppmyth on this
> same PC.  The PC is an Athlon 850 with 384MB of ram.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the minimum ram
> requirements are for Mythdora 4.0?  I am assuming they might be a little
> higher than Knoppmyth; since it (i.e. mythdora 4.0) is based on FC6.
> Thanks,

As you have discovered, it will "run" in under 512M of RAM, but pretty
slowly.

I personally wouldn't even consider running it with under 512M, and 1GB
would be nicer.

Optimally you would want to never hit swap. My older Mythdora install
never does with 1GB of RAM. Have a look and see how hard you are hitting
swap.

More RAM = Better Performance, up to the point where you never swap.
Beyond that point you simply get better buffering, so the improvement is
somewhat less noticeable. It is as simple as that.

BEWW