[mythtv-users] (Myth) Archive to hard disk

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 26 23:43:46 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Ma Begaj wrote:
>
>> Ok, I managed to do it with myth_archive_job.pl, but I will have to
>> write my own script ...
>
> Your requirements keep growing as you explain more of what you REALLY
> want. (I work in Software QA so I'm especially sensitive to growing
> requirements after I've determined an implementation satisfies
> requirements given.)
>
>> I would like to move the recording to LVM in MythVideoDir/Recordings,
>> to rename it to something recognizable,
>
> You can use it in combination with myth_rename.pl if you need to
> rename the file as well.
>
>> to delete it from recordings
>
> Why do you want to delete it from recordings?
>
>> and so on ...
>
> What else? If you lay out all the requirements, there are enough
> smart people on this list who can help out with tools that have
> already been written or give you guidance on what pieces are missing
> to get it to do exactly what you want.
>
>> myth_archive_job.pl is pretty long in contrib directory ... IMHO it
>> should be rewritten in C++ and included/built-in directly in MyhTV,
>> because there are a lot of users who are using it.
>
> How many people are using it? I count 3 so far. The person who wrote
> it, the person who just said they use it and is happy with the way it
> current is and you. As you can tell, everyone uses it for different
> things. I prefer these types of scripts to be written in perl so I
> can hack at them and make them do what I need. I can't do that with C+
> + and I don't compile Myth myself. Please don't take away what I love
> about myth - end-user customizability. :)

Well I'm not sure if you are counting ne as "the one who is happy with
it", but I am, and I use it regularly.

I agree that it is more useful to more people as a script. I suspect
that only a small minority of MythTV users are competent (or even
incompetent) C++ programmers, and the whole idea is to make it easy to
customize and use for as many Myth users as possible.

I'm sorry to hear it's no longer in the contrib directory, perhaps it is
assumed that MythArchive can do the same job in a slightly different way.

Also, with 500GB or even 750GB or 1TB drives becoming pretty affordable,
Myth systems built today may well have less need for moving things off
of primary storage than they did a year or two ago.

Personally I go for the "don't change what's working" theory.

BEWW