[mythtv-users] lvm setup (was Re: Partitioning Recommendations)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jun 26 17:24:29 UTC 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 12:59 AM, David Watkins wrote:

>> Just had a thought, I could only have the /myth partition as lvm,
>> that
>> way if the upgrade went wrong it would be simpler to sort out.  How
>> easy is it to leave the space unpartitioned and set up the lvm
>> later/manualy?
>
> It was a cinch (at least I was able to do it by blindly following the
> howto).  The main problem with LVM comes when one of the drives fails
> (or you want to remove it) where I understand that bit of of skill
> and/or luck is required to recover any data from the remaining
> drive(s).

Also, beware of shrinking partitions.  Growing is easy -- you enlarge
the logical volume, then you let the filesystem's resizing tool
figure out the new size.  Shrinking has all kinds of pitfalls,
though.  One one occasion I shrunk an ext3 filesystem, then shrank
its logical volume...and immediately destroyed it.  I'd given the
same size to both resize2fs and the LVM tools, but they did the math
differently, and the logical volume ended up smaller than the
filesystem.