[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 26 14:03:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:56:28PM +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > hits will be differential data), DNS rules the Internet.  Literally.  With
> > the properties of such a mechanism, why is it not being seriously considered
> > on this list?
>
> Because it was designed for lightweight, moderately static data. As
> soon as you start loading DNS up with big records and the UDP queries
> have to become TCP queries, the advantages of the mechanism fall away.

And additionally, because our being able to use DNS-as-it-is in the
Internet at large for our purposes requires that it live up to
assumptions which are safe about DNS in the abstract, but not as it is
deployed.

Alternatively, we *can* make those same necessary assumptions about
NNTP as it is provided commercially.  That's why I picked it.  :-)

> Just because DNS is good at caching sub-128-byte name resolution
> queries, doesn't make it the right thing to use to move (relatively)
> heavy listings data around.
>
> Nail and hammer syndrome in evidence here.

Indeed.  Plus, since you're leveraging the Internet DNS infrastructure
to do something it's not intended to do, you have little recourse when
it breaks.

And NANOG would murder you in your sleep.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra