[mythtv-users] mythtv-OT list

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jun 26 00:49:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 17:42 -0700, Tom Greer wrote:
> This ought to be a place where users can get assistance install and
> configure MythTV.

Yes, I agree.  But it ends there.

> The task is quite complex.  Installing MythTV differs from
> distribution to distribution.  A user needs to get alsa, MySQL and
> probably lirc installed and configured.

Yup.  And those are fine topics for other lists (or a myth-OT list).
There are lots of other lists that deal with all of those components and
distributions.

> Getting the right video
> driver installed and configured is a key.  Then ivtv, bttv, dvb or
> firewire video input needs to be set up.

Yup.  All fine topics for the relative lists.

> Even if you are not new to
> Linux, most of us are not familiar with all of these applications.

A good reason to research, learn and ask the experts of those areas.

> Once running, many users will want to optimize.  When I add disk
> capacity, does it make sense to implement LVM?  Should I set up a
> dedicated server using NFS?

All questions that can be on a myth-OT list.  None of those are directly
related to Myth.  They are general Linux configuration tasks and if
people want to help with that on myth-OT, then all the better.  If help
is not available there, as I have said, all of those items have their
own venues with their experts.

> Should I activate MythWeb?

Now that would be a fine topic for the bona fide mythtv-users list.

> My point is that getting MythTV to work and the optimizing it requires
> a lot of software outside of MythTV.  A user needs a place to get help
> and advice.

Myth-OT or the lists relevant for what they want to do.

> Often, when you are troubleshooting a problem, it is not clear whether
> the problem is in MythTV or some other software.

And when it's clear, it can be moved to myth-OT.

> I vote to keep all user queries in the Users mailing list.

I think the problem is that the volume is growing and growing and the
only answer for some of the experts (the exact people you want to be
able to ask real mythtv questions of) will be to unsub from the list
because the S:N will be below the threshold they can stand for the
benefit they are receiving.

b.

Brian J. Murrell