[mythtv-users] Changing sound cards

Alan Calvert cal at graggrag.com
Mon Jun 25 18:48:53 UTC 2007

Ryan Allen wrote:
> Hi List,
>
>    I'm a little in the dark as to where to troubleshoot this.
>
>    I had a working system:  a brand new ASUS motherboard, some PCI sound
>    card.  I want to use the PCI slot for another HD5000, so I pulled the
>    sound card, rebooted, and enabled the on-board sound on the
>    motherboard.  Ever since then, I've had no sound.
>
>    I'm not sure what to do.
>
>    Are the wrong modules being loaded?  How do you change them?
>
>    lspci reports this:
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
>
>     and nVidia memory controller, ethernet port, host bridge, PCI
>     bridge, etc...
>
>     and lsmod reports these for sound:
> snd_ice1724            67252  0
> snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx      7296  1 snd_ice1724
> snd_ac97_codec         94116  1 snd_ice1724
> snd_ac97_bus            6144  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_ak4114             11776  1 snd_ice1724
> snd_ak4xxx_adda        10624  2 snd_ice1724,snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx
> snd_mpu401_uart        10880  1 snd_ice1724
> snd_rawmidi            22944  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device         10508  1 snd_rawmidi
>
> AND:
> snd_hda_intel          19096  0
> snd_hda_codec         159232  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_pcm_oss            42912  0
> snd_mixer_oss          18176  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                69380  6
> snd_ice1724,snd_ac97_codec,snd_ak4114,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> ,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              22404  1 snd_pcm
>

>     There is also a module loaded called:
> nvidia               4545108  20
>
> I assume the nvidia is the "nvidia universal driver" thing all the
> marketing sprays about.
>
>     So, my questions are:
>     1)  Are all those sound modules loaded for the old sound card?
>     2)  How do I change what modules are loaded?
>     3)  What are the correct modules?
>
>     I am running KnoppMyth R5F1
>
>     For The first person to help ,  I'll provide an .xml file of their
>     local listing FREE OF CHARGE!!
>
>     -- Ryan

I suspect snd_ice1724 and friends were required by your old card, but aren't
needed for your onboard HDA That uses snd_hda_intel and friends, which appear
to be loaded ok. One place that controls module loading is /etc/modules. The
hotplug fantasies are another possibility.

On mine, a 'cat /proc/asound/cards' shows
 0 [hda            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe028000 irq 23

When you get to that point, you're getting close. You should be able to
'aplay any_old_wav_file.wav' and produce sound. Play around in alsamixer
until you do.

Then you should be ready to set myth to 'ALSA:default', and maybe even get
some sound from myth. You can (and should) get a little more elaborate with
/etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc, but I think that's the absolute basics of
what you'll need.

Cheers!