[mythtv-users] Joe and Jay, flaming each other (was: Let's get our heads straight here on listings solutions)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 25 16:43:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:34:42PM -0400, Joe Borne wrote:
> >         3) Then, there's us.  We *know* we're not working on a 60 day
> >         solution, Joe, and you'd know that too, if you'd been reading
> >         everything we've been writing.

Way to cut out the context that justifies the tone of my reply, there,
Joe.  :-)

> > We're way ahead of you, Joe.
> >
> > But I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy to see our efforts.
> >
> > I don't much *care*, mind you, but I'm sorry.  :-)
>
> Mr. Ashworth,
>
> I guess next time I'll just bow down, and be grateful you have seen
> fit to grace us with your brilliant, albeit misguided and sarcastic
> efforts.
>
> Despite my constant attempts to keep this discussion on a rational and
> non-personal level

Do you really *want* me to go back through your posts and belie that?

>                     you have seen fit to instead turn this into a
> grievance of some sort. If at some point this appeared to you to be a
> personal attack I apologize, for such was not my intent.

Your intent appeared to be you continuing to mischaracterize the effort
we are making, by continuing to explain why it doesn't fulfill a goal we
explicitly aren't trying to fulfill because someone *else* is working on
*that* goal.

> Your level of sarcasm, vitriol and insult really is beneath

Oh, spare me.  I've been professional, the whole way through.

And isn't it odd that half a dozen other thoughtful people are engaging
with me just fine, and you're the only one who thinks I'm
unprofessional?

> professionalism. I sincerely hope this situation finds a resolution.
> In the spirit of such I have done nothing but attempt to provide
> productive input in a professional manner. My most recent post, which
> was not addressed to you,  was designed to present a more rational and
> congenial tone to this discussion. I now see you are incapable of such
> a discourse. I however, will not stoop to that level.

Good try, there, Mr Borne.  But I was perfectly clear, polite, and did
not assume anything in my immediate reply to which you refer.

> I suggest you go back and read Mr Lonie's response to my arguments. He
> was rational, dispassionate and polite. Although we disagree, there
> was no malice in our interactions. Such is the model for these types
> of debates. Let's try to follow it.

I've been participating in Usenet since about 1983; I'm perfectly
competent to engage in debate.

> Also, I don't recall giving you permission to call me by my first
> name. In polite company such a thing is considered extremely rude.

This isn't polite company.  This is a mailing list.

> Now I am sure you will have a reposte for my having taken issue with
> you. You seem to have a penchant for needing the last word. Remember
> that the last word is not always the best word. My prediction though,
> is that you will find the urge to have it irresistible.

I don't consider the conversation closed, and I decline to let your
impugnation of my rhetorical skills stand unchallenged.

Cheers,
-- jra