[mythtv-users] Idea for Listings Data

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 25 15:54:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 11:11:15AM -0400, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> P2P seems like it will be the best choice..     But, has anyone looked
> into Google Base?   I'm not sure what limits they put on that service,
> but it's the closest thing I've seen to a free/open hosted database.
> If anything will have the bandwidth/storage needed, it will be a
> Google service.

For myself, I have been trying to avoid single points of failure.

We're talking -- though this is the first time I've made the point
explicitly -- about a system with 2500 or so producers, 50-100K+ consumers
(to *start), and... how many updates a day did he say?  ;-)

I don't want *anything* to have to be "one server in the middle".

Cause "one server" at those traffic loads is really 1 or 2 full racks
with a dedicated 100BaseT.

I've worked on Wikipedia.  I don't want to *become* Wikipedia.

Let people who already have to run big server farms do it.  They know how.

My goal in mooting NNTP (and please note that NNTP doesn't *have* to
imply "Usenet") is that we can get a couple of the commercial providers
to supply free connectivity for posting to the 2500 senders in the
hopes that they'll pick up a statistically significant number of new
paying customers on the consumer side -- which is a reasonable thing to
think.

If each of the 2500 stations/network can send a serial numbered update
packet to 2 commercial providers, then the amount of additional
thinking they will have to do is pretty small.  Which should be good.

Cheers,
-- jra