[mythtv-users] Another HW Question

Bryce Ostenson bostenson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:43:09 UTC 2007

I need to build a general-purpose file server and am moving towards
building it out as a myth-tv box.

I've got a Celeron D 3.5Ghz.  Key items I need are the tuner and gfx
card.  I'm debating the following scenarios:
* Hauppauge PVR-350 - ~$130 - Serves both purposes.  Integrated video
for the monitor.
* XFX GeForce 8500 GT 256MB PCI Express ($60 after-rebate) and PVR-150
(~$65 on ebay).  Total $125.

Close enough to be a wash on price.  I only have 2 PCI and 1 PCI-e
slots.  No HD right now but the capability of the GeForce 8500 GT to
do HD sometime in the future is nice.

Still, I was having a lot of trouble finding PCI or PCI-e cards that
were much cheaper than $60, even used on ebay, which support S-Video
or composite out.

Is this a reasonable platform?  Better to do something different?
Suggestions?  Cost's a factor of course...

Thanks!

Bryce