[mythtv-users] What don't I get here? (Playback FPS)

Viktor Avramov drvik at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 25 00:31:13 UTC 2007

Just to address a few of the post before...

remco, the mode_line.flags && 0x010 basically checks to see if the INTERLACE
flag of the xorg modeline you are using is set... if it is, it doubles the
effective frame rate that mythtv sees... so if you are running the usual pal
interlaced modelines, mythtv will now correctly see them as 50Hz...

I switched off BOB deint just to remind myself of why I left it on... firstly,
YES I do see fields out of order after an pause/unpause and the only way to
correct it is to pause/unpause a few times until myth fires up at the correct
field by chance alone... when it is in sync, it is silky smooth... Just like
a set top box!

Secondly, in Australia at least, trying to play back 1080i (Nine HD) on my
576i display shows something strange... during sideways movement there is a
wavy appearance to those moving images....

in my case I have been able to abolish both problems by switching BOB deint
on....

Unfortunately it seems as if mythtv has never really addressed interlaced
displays as, I suspect, either in the US it's all progressive transmissions
or everyone in the US has upgraded to progressive displays anyway...

To those who are still using interlaced displays, please give my patch a go
and feedback to the ticket I created so that it can be included in trunk....

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2903

Is there really no way of knowing if we're on a odd or even field??? How do
set top boxes and DVD players get it right?????

Viktor