[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jun 24 05:31:22 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 11:23:35PM +1000, Peter Schachte wrote:
>> Rod Smith wrote:
>>> For the application under discussion, out-of-order postings don't matter;
>> If there are multiple updates to the schedule in separate postings, I don't
>> think this is true.  If there's an update that says that station X is airing
>> program Y at time Z, and another update sent an hour later that says no, it'll
>> be at time Q instead, then you don't want to handle them in the wrong order.
>
> Date-Posted:
>
> If they come in out of order, you can remember when the latest update
> applied was posted and ignore the older one.

That only works if the second posting comes in before you apply the first; in
general I expect you'd apply updates as soon as they arrive.  So you'd know
when updates arrived out of order, but you wouldn't be able to fix it.  The
best you could do is apply them out of order and hope there wasn't a conflict.

You could add a serial number header to each posting though, and hold back
updates if one went missing, until the missing one arrived.  But then whenever
a posting goes missing, your listings get frozen in their current state
indefinitely (or at least for a couple of weeks).

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you