[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: No remote when calling xine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 23 16:57:14 UTC 2007

On 06/23/2007 10:34 AM, James Pifer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 21:51 +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>> On 22/06/07, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Check out Jarod's site. He had some information there about Xine losing the
>>> focus, therefore the IR input did not reach xine but another program.
>>> This might be what is happening to you.
>> To determine if it's a window focus problem, start xine running as
>> your mythfrontend user. If your remote works, you can be confident
>> it's a focus problem. If the remote control doesn't work even when
>> xine has focus, it's something specific to your xine installation.
> It does appear to be a focus problem! The remote worked when running
> xine as my mythfrontend user. I'll take another look at Jarod's site for
> the focus issue.

If you're using xine's native LIRC support (i.e. "prog = xine") rather
than using irxevent (i.e. "prog = irxevent")--and you /should/ be using
native LIRC--app focus is irrelevant.  All apps receive every button
press, regardless of focus.

The xine focus issue also only affect Myth (whether using native or
irxevent LIRC) and only /after/ using xine--it won't prevent button
presses from reaching xine.  Rather, when xine is closed, focus is not
properly returned to Myth, so when Myth pops up certain additional
windows, those child windows aren't focused and Myth thinks you're
sending button/key presses to the Myth main window, which ignores them
because of the modal child window.  Here focus is an issue because there
are multiple Myth windows and, while native LIRC allows the button press
to reach Myth, it's not reaching the right Myth window.

So, if the issue is that the remote doesn't work in xine when running
xine from mythfrontend, it's likely a LIRC configuration issue.  My best
guess is that you're starting mythfrontend from some script (like,
perhaps an init script--shudders) with an improper environment (i.e.
doesn't define HOME variable, so xine doesn't find $HOME/.lircrc, or
something similar) or you're not actually using the "mythfrontend user"
to run mythfrontend...  If either is the case, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/230884#230884 (whole
thread, as I don't feel like re-writing it here ;).

Mike