[mythtv-users] Let's get our heads straight here on listings solutions

Mattias Holmlund mattias.holmlund at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 07:16:42 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have more than 13 local channels in my broadcast area.  You'd have
> to multiply that 13 out by a few maginitude to get the US alone.
> Here's just the ones that start with K (and mine all start with W):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_the_United_States_by_call_sign_%28initial_letter_K%29
>
> If it's that hard to manage 13, and none of them can seem to deliver
> in a manageable manner, I find it impossible for this to happen even
> in one US city.

On the other hand, I run the backend for Sweden with 13 TV-companies
(68 channels in total) as a one-man-show in my spare time (I do all
the programming, some of my friends run the webserver and handle legal
issues with the TV-companies). If you get a sufficiently large group
of people together and divide the stations among you, then I am sure
you can handle the US as well. The problem is very simple to divide
among several programmers, and I would guess that a lot of stations
collaborate so you can probably use the same parser for many channels.

If you need a starting point, you can start with my code. It is
written in perl and is by now very flexible and powerful so that it is
easy to write a new Importer. If anyone is interested in giving this a
shot, feel free to contact me.

/Mattias

--
Mattias Holmlund