[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Jun 23 01:56:22 UTC 2007

Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu> says:
> So, 16Kbits/second on average, storage of 150MB. Let's say 300MB,
> we're inefficient.

Thanks for the back-of-the-envelope calculation. It's very reassuring
to me and to others contemplating volunteering their machines as NNTP
nodes.

> But pretty much anyone else can be at least a small server node,
> with 2 or 3 local neighbors just pulling down their regional groups
> and 2 or 3 big nodes feeding them.

I suggest, as I implied in a previous message, that we make it very
easy for volunteers to get DNS aliases so that ca.us.feed.mythtv.org
will cycle through all California NNTP nodes à la pool.ntp.org.