[mythtv-users] Unintelligent recording

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 01:11:28 UTC 2007

On 22/06/07, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/6/22, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > if there is not enough time between the following two recordings to
> > > include 10 minutes after 1st recording and 10 minutes before 1st
> > > recording:
> > > -> the recorder should either ignore these additional minutes
> >
> > A popular question and scenario - search the archives for the
> > difference between using global pre/post-roll settings (soft options
> > that the scheduler does not honour, but can be used if the schedule
> > allows) and start early/end late rule settings (hard options that the
> > scheduler always uses, as you have seen, and can cause back-to-back
> > recordings to conflict).
>
> Sorry, my English is the best one and I do not understand what you
> want say. Is this an explanation or solution or something else?

If you set start early/end late in a recording rule, the scheduler
will always use those timings when scheduling recordings. If you have
two programs broadcast back to back and the first recording specifies
and positive end late time (ends later than broadcast) and only have
one available capture card for that video source, the second program
will conflict.

If you set a global pre-roll and post-roll options, the scheduler does
not take these options into account when scheduling, but the
recordings will include them if possible. So, if two consecutive
programs are set to record, the first program will get pre-roll and no
post-roll, and the second program no pre-roll but will get post-roll.

> What do you think about this (from the last email):
> -------------------------------------
> or even much better
>
> -> the recorder should calculate how much time it has between two
> recordings and if the length of this time (2nd recording start time
> minus 1st recoding stop time) is shorter than the default additional
> time from above (20 minutes = 10 minutes before and 10 after the
> show), it should shorten/adapt these 20 minutes or set it to 0 if 2nd
> recording is starting right after the 1st one (like in the example
> above).

I would always want the hard per-rule scheduler options to be honoured
(that's why I set them). The only exception I would currently want is
that when the back-to-back recordings are on the same channel, the
scheduler should be allowed to schedule the programs without conflict
by dropping the first program's end late timing and the second
program's start early timing. Other overtime amounts should still be
honoured.

If there were two consecutive recordings on different channels that
were conflicting due to this issue, I still think you should have to
fix it yourself via conflict resolution, rather than have the
scheduler do something automatically. This way you are a) aware of the
problem, and b) have the choice over what happens.

The other thing to consider is that if this happens regularly, a
second capture card might be the easiest solution (although this is a
hardware fix rather than a software fix).

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/