[mythtv-users] Let's get our heads straight here on listings solutions

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jun 22 21:34:04 UTC 2007

On Jun 22, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> David Brodbeck wrote:
>> Well, ever since CBS renewed Star Trek for a third season TV geeks
>> have been laboring under the illusion that letter writing campaigns
>> can actually accomplish something. ;)
>
> Having worked for several stations and networks I can assure you that
> most letters of that sort never get "upstairs". Generally there is a
> dumpster near the MailRoom...

It's like gambling.  People don't remember all the times they pulled
the lever and nothing came out.  They remember the one or two times
in their lives when they won a jackpot.

So, people keep writing letters, even though the chances of a letter
writing campaign (or worse, online petition) actually accomplishing
anything are less than epsilon.  (And there have probably been
instances when letter-writing campaigns actually made things worse.
I remember a Commodore exec once remarking that the Amiga cultists
hadn't done them any favors when it came to winning over the business
world.)