[mythtv-users] Sorry, but I don't want to pay much

Michael Thome mthome at bbn.com
Fri Jun 22 20:43:59 UTC 2007

Sorry - I really *really* don't want to pay much extra for information
that I'm already paying for several times over (cable schedule, OTA
backstream, newspaper, replaytv). Sure, the zap2it service makes it
possible for me to *use* that data more effectively - and I might be
willing to pay a little something in return for that ease of use, but it
sure as heck isn't going to be anywhere near what I'd expect to pay for
a Tivo subscription (.  Frankly, it seems like the content provides
ought to be paying us to consume their schedules.

That said, I'd be happy to:
- sell back my recording schedules
- sell back my watching schedules (for a higher fee!)
- sell the providers the opportunity to attach URLs to schedule elements
(think click-through TV show sites back to content providers)
- sell the providers a realtime clickthrough feedback services, e.g.: I
hit a button on my remote during playback and myth sends my service a
tuple of (xmtvid programid time-in-stream (x, y)).  If the service
responds with a URL, my playback pauses and mythweb opens the URL.
Holy grail of advertising, no?

Heck, that last one sounds like fun regardless - Del.ico.us video
bookmarks!  wiki tv! Possibilities abound.

Bottom line - as someone on the zap2it list said before the forums went
belly-up this afternoon, Tribune is squandering their opportunities - if
they aren't interested, I'm sure someone else is... frankly, I'm amazed
that Google hasn't eaten their lunch already.