[mythtv-users] Zap2It fiasco - what can we as users do?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 22 20:28:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 02:23:29PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Michael Jones wrote:
> > I have a good friend who's the "wizard of oz" type Engineer at the
> > local PBS station... He probably knows more about that specific
> > station than the guys who designed it (in fact the guys who designed
> > the equipment often ask him for help ;-) )
> >
> > The other thing is that he's actually MythTV user.. Even better!
> >
> > I'm sure he wouldn't mind disclosing some "insider information" about
> > how the guide stuff works, at least at his station.
>
> I'm sure he wouldn't, nor would I, I worked in TV engineering for
> decades. I can assure you this fellow doesn't know anything directly
> relevant to the present situation.

Based on my knowledge of current day TV plant, I don't have any reason
to believe that a station engineer would be ignorant of the MIS issues
involved, Brian, no.

> The best thing he could tell you is: Just wait and see what happens. We
> have already been told that the devs are working on it. I can't think of
> any group better qualified to look into the matter, or more likely to
> succeed.
>
> Will everybody PLEASE just keep their pants on for a little while?

More power to the devs, and if they succeed at finding a new channel to
TMS, that will take a lot of pressure off.

That is, however, orthogonal to whether creating a better system to
solve the problem is a useful investment of effort, and clearly, at
least a dozen people think it is.

Linux got started with less.

Cheers,
-- jra