[mythtv-users] Zap2It - isn't this a two part problem?

Brock Nanson brock at nanson.org
Fri Jun 22 20:30:00 UTC 2007

I have to admit to being out of the Myth loop for a while - I've had too
many other things to do besides watch TV, but I did notice the Zap2It
issue when I scanned the Digest.

Perhaps this has been discussed, but so far I haven't noticed it.

I see two problems.  One, how to obtain and organize the data for all
the feeds and broadcasts, literally around the world.  Not an
insignificant task.

Second, how to distribute this information to Myth (and I suppose, other
TV PVR users) in an efficient and accurate manner.

I don't have any idea about #1... I don't have the slightest idea of how
that information is disseminated.  And from some of the comments I've
seen, it doesn't look like too many people do.  I won't comment any
further on that.

However, I'm wondering about the distribution problem.  NNTP seems to be
the direction the conversation is heading.  What about BitTorrent?
Perhaps a torrent for each service provider... i.e., one for Bell
ExpressVu, Direct, whatever the various carriers are.  Every Myth user
is a potential server and the load on the source would be much lighter
(almost non-existent).  I don't know how changes could be made without
creating a whole new file, but that might not be a problem if updates
could be limited to daily for instance.

I'm not sure if this has been tossed out there yet... my apologies if
it's been beaten into the ground already... :-)

Brock