[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 22 20:04:58 UTC 2007

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> Dewey Smolka wrote:
>>> On 6/22/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> [deletia]
>> It's not the "ripping", but what's done with the rip. The music is often
>> given to friends, posted on the internet or played by a DJ. In short: It
>> costs sales.
>>
>> Think about the derivation of the word itself: "rip off": steal, "rip":
>> tear, rend, grab from. I can't think of a single positive connotation of
>> the word.
>>
>> Nor can I think if any term better calculated to infuriate the owners of
>> whatever is being "ripped".
>
> Got an alternative?

Backed up, protected, "installed" on the MythTV system, saved, archived,
dubbed or even "duplicated" or "copied" are all better than "ripped".

And, the worst place to put "rip or ripped" is in the subject line. One
quick search of Gossamer and presto: Instant "Evidence" for the next
copyright hearings.

(Yes, I know, it;s a redily identified term to use users, and I know the
message body can be searched as well, but why make it so easy?

I think we should end THIS thread now, at least I am going to do so.