[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Fri Jun 22 16:21:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:09:20PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:03:32PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > - what if this becomes the default?
> >
> > If this happens, I would also encourage (and perhaps develop) a
> > config package for Leafnode as the default receiver, and a
> > mini-INN or mini-Diablo package for people who want to donate a
> > little bandwidth to the cause.
>
> This is precisely where I was heading; I'm just not current enough on
> Usenet tech to have the small details.
>
> > There are public NNTP servers which might carry this traffic
> > (gmane.org comes to mind) and cheap ones run by high-clue people
> > (news.individual.net is right up there. $13 a year for good
> > access to all the non-binary groups. Happy customer. End plug.)
>
> $13 a *year*?  I'm so there.  :-)
>
> Yes; this is what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Dependent on the currency conversion rate; it's 10 Euros per
year. tao runs a Leafnode server that pulls from it once every
half-hour for the two-dozen groups that I still read.

By the way, gmane.org largely lives to gateway mailing lists to
newsfroups and back. You could read mythtv-users that way...
http://gmane.org/add.php

-dsr-

--