[mythtv-users] IMDB has TV listings.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 22 15:07:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:10:53AM -0400, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > Both of them charge all of their customers, both of them charge based
> > on what use the customer makes of the data, both of them would almost
> > certainly increase the charge to anyone who wanted to let 200K of *us*
> > take the data, whether those people charged us, or not.
>
> True, however if IMDB uses TMS for data, TMS might be willing to not
> increase their rates if it meant off-loading this problem to them. IMDB is
> also owned by Amazon, who could possibly might have a reason to absorb the
> cost if they though it worth PR.

Sure.  Several possible targets might see fit to replace Z2L, and TMS
*might* see fit to let them.

Those of us who subscribe to "-11.1%" as the most likely reason for
this event, though, probably wouldn't expect it.

> I noticed IMDB add links to their own content from their listings - the
> entry for the show, board, photos, etc. If the Myth guide could follow those
> links, bring up the Muyth web browser -- and show their ads -- IMDB/Amazon
> might have an incentive to work with us on this.

Oh yeah; IMDB would be a good choice for precisely that reason.

> It has been pointed out what is missing from IMDB local listings (mine were
> complete at least), so maybe it isn't worth it. However it doesn't hurt to
> ask.

True.

Keep an eye on the other two threads on this as well for more thoughts.

Cheers,
-- jra