[mythtv-users] Watching live TV video problem (blank/black screen)

Brad Patterson bpatterson at espec.com
Fri Jun 22 14:54:39 UTC 2007

I just installed a PVR-150 in my myth box last night, and got it working
"o.k." with an older video card that I had in the machine previously.
The video during live TV playback was a little herky jerky, though, so I
swapped out the old GE Force4 MX440 PCI video card with a brand new
Nvidia FX5200 256MB PCI video card (from PNY).  After I rebooted my
machine, I went to watch live TV and all I got was 15 seconds of
blank/black screen (and no sound) and then I was kicked back to the main
myth menu.

At this point, I thought that maybe I should redo a fresh install of
Knoppmyth, so I ran that overnight.  This morning, I finished the
configuration, and re-attempted to watch live TV.  The live TV worked
fine (although it was still a little herky jerky), but after about 30
seconds; the screen went blank and a message popped up saying that there
was a "video output errror" or something to that effect.  At that point,
I didn't have time to mess around with it anymore, and had to leave for
work.

So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas?  Or are there certain myth
logs I can look at or commands I can run to determine what the problem is?

Here are my machine specs:

AMD Athlon 850
400MB of RAM
Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE edition (model #1062)
PNY Nvidia FX5200 PCI video card w/256MB of ram (the reason I am using a
PCI video card is that this old mobo only has a 2x AGP port)
PCI ethernet card
PCI sound card (some old yamaha clunker)
PCI USB2.0 card
IDE hard drive and CD-RW

Thanks,

Brad