[mythtv-users] Increasing mailing list S/N ratio (or, a modest proposal)

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:37:48 UTC 2007

It looks like a lot (ok, a few) people are signing up to the mailing
list and asking a Certain Question (Which Will Not be Named Here) that
has been exhaustively discussed already over the past few days.

Did they perform a rudimentary Google Search?  Go through the
archives?  Read the wiki?  Glance at the mailing list welcome message?
 It's clear that none of this happened.  Still, I'd like to avoid the
question of whether these people are inconsiderate, lazy, or
deliberately out to annoy the more august members of the list.  I'd
like everyone to be able to get help in a painless manner.

To that end, I know this list uses mailman (at least, I think it
does), and we can set that new member posts are moderated (at least on
recent versions of mailman) by default.  This would ensure that a
user's first post at least gets a once-over by a moderator before
making it out to the list in general.   The moderator can point them
to the relevant source, or let the question through.  Presumably, the
moderation bit can be turned off shortly (maybe my faith in humanity
is a bit optimistic here).

Who the hell's going to be the moderator?  Well, I'm not the sharpest
MythTV user out there, but I can find answers in the FAQ pretty easily
(and it's even easier to tell people RTFM), and I wouldn't have
suggested this unless I was willing to step up and do it (although
help would be nice).

Opinions?

--
Jason Sullivan