[mythtv-users] alsa rate change on via8237 spdif

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Jun 22 11:40:58 UTC 2007

> OK, so that's the difference--it's not a Realtek CODEC.  Ignore the
> IEC968 Playback Source (i.e. it's not relevant for your card).
>
> I'd try the above approach (with subdevice 3 first).  If that doesn't
> work, try the first approach I mentioned, but try both 0 and 3 for
> AC97-SPSA.  (For all three tests, don't worry about IEC958 Playback
> Source).
>
> Mike

Thanks for persisting Mike. After a few Friday night messups (like logging
in as root and changing the .asoundrc in the MythTV users home directory
without su'ing as that user before testing with aplay) that caused me to
think I was getting nowhere, I ended up with a minor adaptation of yet
another config file I found on the MythTV wiki.

I think the major difference to the last time I tried this (about a year
ago) is that I'm now running a 2.6.20 kernel, up 7 versions from last
time!!

I've tested with 48k, 44k and 22k samplerate files and it appears to be
fine. Just got to change lirc to repeat the vol up/down and mutes codes to
the ir blaster on the theatre amp and see if it survives a reboot and I'm
sorted!! Guess I better check that th passthrough still works as well.

media # cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
     type rate
     slave.pcm "iec958"