[mythtv-users] USB IR Receiver solutions?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 00:41:07 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> Given that I'm running FC6 or maybe since I'm building a new FE, I'll use FC7,
> I have two questions about possible USB IR Receivers.
>
> 1) Do any (all?) of the following have ready to run software either included in the
> install or available as RPM(s) from a repository -- perhaps atrpms?
>
> 2) Do any ONLY work with the supplied remote (or one that emulates it)?
>
> DViCO Fusion MCE USB IR Receiver
> Streamzap
> USB-UIRT
> CommandIR

Q1:

I implemented a Streamzap remote with FC5/6.  Everything you need is
in the lirc package.  But if I recall correctly, it was a pain to get
it working.  (Could have been stupidity on my part.)

I ultimately built four Myth boxes and I ended up using these serial
IR receivers (with 6ft. cables):
http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html.  These allowed me to hide my
Myth boxes in cabinets and to use existing remotes (which helped a lot
with the WAF).

I've since moved all my Myth boxes to Ubuntu - so I can't comment on FC7.

Q2:

All of these USB IR receivers will work with any remote.  (You just
need to find or create a config file for the remote.)   I found that
the Streamzap remote did not have enough buttons for my needs.

Hope this helps.

Tom