[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jun 21 22:53:53 UTC 2007

Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> says:
> > I was merely trying to propose an architecture that would make
> > practical the distribution of the load of 200,000 Mythboxen
> > looking for guide data every day.  NNTP would.

> You've seen Yeechang Lee's setup, then?

Slander! Libel! Defamation! Non sequitur! I do not have 200,000 boxes
in my loft apartment. Just five (plus one that I need to replace the
power supply of), of which two make up my MythTV setup. Plus a
NAS. Just one of the boxes does the daily Zap2It retrieval, of
course. (Jay's NNTP advocacy as the replacement transport mechanism is
right on target, by the way. I *do* remember Usenet; I read it every
day.)

Since it's mid-2007 and people fly around on jetpacks and eat vitamin
pills in place of traditional food, I guess it's no longer so
embarrassing to publicly reveal the amount of MythTV storage I have
had at hand for the past six months: A total of 8.1TB of usable space
(9.4TB raw) on one 16-disk 8TB RAID 6 array (in one of the two
above-mentioned systems) and one three-disk RAID 5 array (in the
other). I also have 1.4TB usable in RAID 5 in that NAS (not currently
used for MythTV until 0.21 ships; see
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/269011#269011>)
and 2.6TB usable in RAID 5 in that out-of-commission box.

The two big boxes (the RAID 6 array/quad-core Xeon/MythTV slave
backend, plus a 2001-vintage Athlon I keep putting off decommissioning
to turn into another VMware VM on the Xeon) sit in the hall closet to
minimize noise. The RAID 5 array/MythTV frontend/master backend sits
in the living room. An iMac G3 sits upstairs in the bedroom. My
day-to-day machine is a MacBook, which I use to SSH into all the other
boxes.

And, before you ask:

* Yes, my MythTV setup's essentially full (59GB free at the moment
  between the two arrays). I could at a pinch free up several hundred
  GB by deleting documentaries and several hundred more by deleting
  movies that will be rebroadcast in the next two weeks, though.
* Yes, almost all of the 1142 programs (65 days 11 hrs 25 mins) is in
  HD via FireWire (two HD cable boxes) or OTA (a HDHomeRun).
* Yes, it's all material I wouldn't be embarrassed to show my parents
  (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/203213#203213>
  and
  <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/183754#183754>).
* Yes, my setup is ridonkulously excellent, thank you.

So, you were saying . . . ?