[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 21 20:32:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 03:11:10PM -0500, Kevin Hulse wrote:
> > Doesn't *anyone* remember Usenet?  :-)
>
> 	Yup.
>
> 	Big, bulky, inefficient, unwieldy.

Ah.  Then you *don't* remember Usenet.

:-)

> > Most people will have their machines on and slurping all the time
> > anyway, so I don't see them *needing* "a full dump".
>
> 	Most isn't good enough.

There *will* likely be some commercial servers carrying the feed with
reasonable expiration policies, so you can get whatever you need.
Remember, there is a built in expiration date for guide data.

I was merely trying to propose an architecture that would make
practical the distribution of the load of 200,000 Mythboxen looking for
guide data every day.  NNTP would.

Cheers,
-- jra