[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Jun 21 19:53:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:39:15PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 02:20:54PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > You can't copyright the factual information about a work or
> > newsworthy event either, as Major League Baseball, Inc. has been
> > finding out, repeatedly.
>
> Sports accounts are perhaps the best analogy to our current situation,
> IMO.  I hadn't realized the leagues were losing those cases, but I'm
> glad to hear they are.

While MLB has decided to appeal their loss, they have already
made big concessions to reality:

"We've agreed that the stats and names are in the public
domain," MLB Advanced Media spokesman Gallagher said after the
ruling. "But when you start to use team's logos and other images
as CBC did, you need a license, it's that simple."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070614-mlb-tries-to-convince-appeals-court-that-names-and-stats-are-copyrightable.html

-dsr-

--