[mythtv-users] Replacing the Power Button with a Lock and Key

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 21 19:39:45 UTC 2007

joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:

> I am looking for a lock to replace the power/reset button on my mythbox.
>  Does anyone have one, and if so can they tell me where they got it?

I've seen such things, they always seemed a bit useless to me, at least
as long as the AC power cord was accessible to the world.

"Power" and "reset" are generally two separate buttons on most PCs these
days. Keylock switches can be purchased at Radio Shack, or any
electronics parts distributor like Newark or MCM.

There is also usually a small rocker switch on the back of the power
supply unit. Switching that off will pretty effectively stop the machine.

You are better off letting folks push the real buttons, at least you can
set things up to do a controlled shutdown, the alternatives can result
in filesystem damage.

BEWW