[mythtv-users] Zap2it : Ad supported?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 21 19:01:14 UTC 2007

Srikant Sharma wrote:

> On 6/21/07, *Brian Wood* <beww at beww.org <mailto:beww at beww.org>> wrote:
>
>     Srikant Sharma wrote:
>     > I believe Google makes all its money through text ads relevant
>     to the
>     > search terms.
>
>     Nope. Obviously you haven't visited one of the many many sites
>     carrying
>     "Ads by Google".
>

> :) Oooops ...
> Let me retract half of my statement and rephrase it.
>
> I believe Google makes almost all its money through text ads.
> These ads are embedded somewhere.
> I am just suggesting, someone trying to make money can embed ads in
> the description of guide data.
> MythTv, can provide a facility to navigate to a URL inside the
> description field, if at all some user is interested. (and pause the
> video at the same time)
>
> People do read descriptions, and if an ad is succint enough people do
> feel like checking out that ad.

Personally I would rather pay a service an annual fee. I hate ads and
block them at every opportunity. It would not be difficult to code a
simple db scan that would zap every ad from the database right after a
fill. I would be happy to post my code once done too. Keep thinking
guys, this one's a dud.

Along those lines, if nothing else comes along, as a ComCrap customer I
am planning on writing a scraper for their web based tv listings.
However it would be up to someone else to make it do more than my
personal needs and listings. I dont want to make ComCrap do things to
make my job more difficult. (Or to make them sue me.)