[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jun 21 18:40:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:52:32PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > Silly Idea here why not use legal P2P or a modified version of Bittorrent
> > too legally distribute this information? this should scale indefinably if
> > everyone shares their information.
>
> The main reason would be that it would prevent users from customizing
> their listings.

	Not really. People could download the listings for the channels
they actually use. A P2P or BitTorrent doesn't change this. Although the
bulk of data may be small enough that being picky might not matter.

	For a lot of people, just having access to guide data for the
national channels would be enough. It would not be ideal in my own case
but at least workable.