[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:19:44 UTC 2007

>From: "Kevin Kuphal" <kuphal at dls.net>
>To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:51:02 -0500
>
>On 6/21/07, Michael Jones <mythlist at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
>>
>>Excuse my ignorance.. or simple lack of experience..
>>but...
>>
>>Doesn't XMLTV depend on information from TMS as well?
>>

>The DataDirect grabber does but XMLTV existed and worked long before that
>was around.  Scraping the screens of any site will generate the data you're
>looking for.  Scraping TMS' site will obviously give you the most and
>they'll be back in the same position they were in before fighting the
>scrapers but then it seems now they lack even the resources to provide data
>direct so I have my doubts if there will be many resources devoted to
>combatting scrapers.
>
>Kevin

XMLTV is not a good solution.  It wouldn't be hard for them to implement IP
blocking.  If a certain IP accesses X number of pages in X number of minutes
they cut you off.  Game over.

The beauty of MythTV for me has always been that I could tinker with it on
my terms.  I don't want to get into the game of cat and mouse that will
start once people start scraping again.  I just ruins the whole experience.
Luckily as has been stated several times, the devs are in negotiations and I
have every hope that a viable solution will be found.

Jake