[mythtv-users] Zap2it : Ad supported?

Srikant Sharma srikant.sharma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:46:38 UTC 2007

Just a wild thought !!!!

The major complaint by zap2it/TMS is that there are commercial freeloaders
of the guide data who are eating up the revenue.

What if we make it beneficial for zap2it/TMS to have as many freeloaders as
possible.

See, the descriptions of programs are majority of manual work for zap2it.
What if zap2it carries advertisements inside  this description field? The
ads can be simple test messages. For zap2it then it will be a new revenue
model. I would not mind seeing/reading ads inside description field.

Now, it is in their best interest to distribute this data as widely as
possible. The ads can be targeted ads.

One step further, mythtv can make a committment to support the weblinks
present in theses ads. If a user wants to  navigate to those webpages, at
the click of a button a web page can open up.

I believe this ad supported model has a lot of profit to be made.

--
Srikant