[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Michael Jones mythlist at michaelandholly.com
Thu Jun 21 17:09:35 UTC 2007

I think the foundation idea is a very good one.

Here's my thoughts:

There are a few significant unknowns surrounding this whole situation.

1)  What is Isaac (and the dev team) figuring out with the current
situation - they might be anywhere from minutes to months/years away
from figuring out a valid solution that will satisfy everyone.

2)  If the dev team is not able to figure out an amicable solution
with TMS, is TMS willing to share their data with a not-for-profit
foundation at a discounted rate.. or somesuch arrangement.

 From what limited information we've seen so far.. I would guess the
answer is no.. but this is only speculation in the absence of better
information.

3)  If TMS is unwilling to share their data for Nonprofit at a
significantly reduced rate, where will the operating capitol for the
initial outlay of cash to TMS for the licensing come from - I'm sure
they'll want their $$ up front for the subscription to the data.   Do
we just start taking donations and hope we reach "critical mass"
before September?

With all of this speculation flying around wouldn't it be nice to
have a fly on the wall during Isaac's discussions with TMS?   Until
we hear more.. I don't think ANYTHING can happen?

- comments?

  - Michael

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Matt Harmon wrote:

> Hi,
>    I've gotten some good advice from the community in
> the past and I'm a happy mythtv user. It rocks!
>
>    It rocks so much that I would be willing to donate
> money to support it's development -- and furthermore,
> donate money (a la Wikipedia.org) to support the
> continued publication of channel information.

<snip>