[mythtv-users] Mooting architecture for a DataDirect replacement

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 21 13:40:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:42:47PM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> says:
> > One of the *most* important characteristics of AIRING data for the
> > PVR market is that you want to [continue to] propagate changes to
> > the audience just as *late* as you possibly can -- 5 minutes before
> > airtime is not unreasonable, nor impossible, if you pick the right
> > transmission architecture.
>
> I inserted a key omitted phrase in the above because, of course,
> lineup changes ought to be propagated ASAP *and on an ongoing basis*.

True, and an even more important pair of observations occurred to me
this morning.

Well, one this morning, and one last night, but I neglected to mention
it.

Given NNTP to moved the schedule data packets around, you can then have
individual Mythboxen participate in the forest, if their users want to,
with a little infrastructural glue; NNTP's real good at that.

Secondly: it becomes possible for *users* to spot late schedule
changes, and disseminate them to whomever has approved that user's
public key as a valid schedule update source -- possibly with
"auto-schedule" as an option.  (If Janie sends out a schedule update
about a Scott Bakula appearance, add it to my schedule and record it
automatically.)

> Otherwise, I heartily agree with your larger message about how this
> event could spark an overdue revolution in how these things work in
> the first place.

I, personally, am heartily convinced that USAdian progress on many
fronts has waned since the end of the Cold War.  Enemies are good for
you.  They keep you on your toes.

Cheers,
-- jra