[mythtv-users] alsa rate change on via8237 spdif

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jun 21 04:59:21 UTC 2007

I've been playing with asoundrc file on and off for 2 years trying to sort
this out.

All I want to do is pass all audio over the spdif (ac3) output. I know
this will require a rate change (epsecially for CD audio) since the Via
sound chip only supports 48KHz sample rate.

The problem is that all the examples I've seen quote nvidia sound chips
which allow the spdif port to be addressed as device 1:0 but I can't do
that on my Epia SP13000. The output of 'aplay -l' gives:

card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Note that device 1 has no extra name whereas the soundcard on my other box
(which is an nvidia as it happens) gives:

card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia nForce2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia
nForce2 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

which indicates that the device 1:0 is the IEC958 port.

I've tried using the converter plugin (with samplerate_best) but since I
can't get a handle on the device I can't hook it!! I don't get an error
message when I try to use device 1:0 - it just doesn't work!!

Anyone with an Epia motherboard (or other m/b using this chipset) managed
to do this?

--
Robin Gilks