[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jun 21 02:07:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:10:47PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:22:41AM -0400, Preston Crow wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 09:30 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > > Another option is to get the data directly from the stations
> > > themselves, this was done by some MythTV users in Sweden with
> > > much success. There are fewer stations there, but there are
> > > also many more MythTV users in North America who are willing
> > > to do some legwork.
> >
> > Yup.  I've already done that for Comedy Central, because the zap2it
> > listings often lack the episode information.
> >
> > It shouldn't really be that hard to get listings for all the major
> > channels.  Getting the local information for networks, independent
> > channels, and such is more of a challenge.  (This might be a good place
> > for a bounty system--someone who is good at writing scrapers might be
> > willing to code one for your favorite local channel for price.)
>
> Well, perhaps someone needs to convince the networks to provide the
> data, um, directly... in a standard format which could be centrally
> aggregated...
>
> Naaaaaaah.

	It doesn't even need to be standardized. It just needs to be
easily accessable and freely redistributable. Once we have it and it's
complete then we can process it by brute force if necessary. Each
channel can have a different processing method. It's more important that
formats are consistent within channels even if they vary between them.

[deletia]