[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jun 21 01:12:11 UTC 2007

Tom Greer wrote:
> If Myth users so intent on not doing as I have done, then why is there
> a MythVideo module at all?  Are you trying to suggest that most Myth
> users don't have this plugin activated?

Not all DVDs use CSS, and there are plenty of other legal sources of
video.  Personally, I export a lot of my TV recordings to more efficient
file formats and watch them in MythVideo.

People may not go after you for using decss software to rip/archive your
own DVDs, but if enough people start using official forums (like this
list) to talk about such things, they might go after MythTV devs (myself
included) for facilitating violation of the DMCA or contributing to
video "piracy".  Personally, I'd prefer that sort of thing not happen.

-Chris