[mythtv-users] Audigy Sound Card Upgrade Worthwhile?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:35:05 UTC 2007

I am currently running mythtv and capturing analog content via dual
PVR-250s.  I use on-board nForce2 AC97 Audio, so I have to send the audio to
my receiver by splitting the single output jack into RCA cables.  In the
back of my mind, I have always wondered if this is hurting the sound
quality, but it worked and other priorities prevailed.

My friend has a spare Audigy 2 6.1 (SB0240) sound card that he has offered
for my use.  I am wondering if it will be worth the hassle to install and
configure?  It has a digital output jack, so I'm thinking I might get
improved audio using this.  Worst case, it has analog jacks that don't have
to be split like my on-board card.  This card supports 6.1 (and so does my
receiver), but I wonder if any of this matters since I am capturing from a
relatively crappy (compared to digital) analog cable signal.

Oh.  This card also has a firewire port that I would like to try hooking up
to my Motorola 6412 cable box (yeah, I know this box may be unreliable as
compared to the 6200 when it comes to firewire, but I like having the
built-in DVR for HD and encrypted content), so yet another reason I am
intrigued by the possibility of using this card.

Thanks in advance for your advice.  I need it :)

Larry