[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:46:13 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Tom Greer wrote:
>

>> I purchased each DVD.  I copied them to disk so I can easily browse my
>> entire collection and play whatever whenever I want.  The DVDs are
>> stored in containers in my garage for safekeeping.  What is illegal
>> about that?
>>

> The DMCA.
>
>> While there may be some technical violations of the DCMA, I have not
>> harmed the content owners in anyway.  In the spirit of the law, how is
>> this any different than legally making a backup copy of software
>> purchased on floppy/CD/DVD?
>>

> Never mind the "spirit", is is a direct violation of the letter of the
> law. Attempts have been made to codify the "spirit", and they have failed.
>
>> As long as I maintain the content for my personal use, (don't
>> distribute it, don't publicly show it, and maintain ownership of the
>> original DVD) I have caused no harm and have nothing to fear from the
>> MPAA.
>>
>> MPEG license fees are a different matter.
>>
>> However, I've had MythTV installed and running for a couple of years.
>> Originally, I had three DVD players attached to various TVs.  Now they
>> are all sitting on a shelf in my garage.  In my mind, I have already
>> paid my MPEG license fees.
>>

> I agree. The MPEG patent-holders do not.
>
> You have just publicly admitted to violating at least two federal laws.
> Even though I think that was ill-advised it is still your right to do it.

I wouldn't bother reprimanding him for that. His actions can be seen as
a form of protest to an already ludicrous law.
Personally, I don't rip DVDs. Because I don't have the time, not because
I'm afraid of violating the law. It holds no moral ground in my mind. I
certainly would not hold such protest against anyone.

> The problem is that your action reflects negatively on all Myth users,
> including the ones who try hard to NOT violate any laws.

There were several other people on the list earlier today who also
admitted to ripping DVDs. It seems like you haven't had any problem with
them.
I don't feel that any of their actions reflect negatively on me because
there's nothing negative about it. If big content providers want to
target mythtv users for ripping DVDs by trying to remove their ability
to get TV listings... well, that's what I call a stop-gap solution. It's
a reactionary, BS attempt to tell people how to live their lives... I
couldn't care less about it even if it's in the form of a law, or if the
people who use mythtv break the same even when I don't.

Raphael