[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 22:37:58 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:

> Linux users generally, and Myth users specifically, just don't realize
> that they are perceived as "pirates" by many people. Perhaps the fact
> that we all know that it is untrue causes us to miss the fact.
> When will they figure out that the harder you make it to watch a DVD the
> fewer you are likely to sell ? I suspect that Linux and Myth users have
> more than the average available cash, or at least have been shown to be
> willing to spend it on video-related things. I think it all really stems
> from the fact that H'Wood just does not understand us, and therefore
> fears us.

When I tell people at work that I have ripped all of my DVDs to a
central file server, I often get a wide-eyed response "Isn't that
illegal?"

I always respond in this manner:

I purchased each DVD.  I copied them to disk so I can easily browse my
entire collection and play whatever whenever I want.  The DVDs are
stored in containers in my garage for safekeeping.  What is illegal
about that?

While there may be some technical violations of the DCMA, I have not
harmed the content owners in anyway.  In the spirit of the law, how is
this any different than legally making a backup copy of software
purchased on floppy/CD/DVD?

As long as I maintain the content for my personal use, (don't
distribute it, don't publicly show it, and maintain ownership of the
original DVD) I have caused no harm and have nothing to fear from the
MPAA.

MPEG license fees are a different matter.

However, I've had MythTV installed and running for a couple of years.
Originally, I had three DVD players attached to various TVs.  Now they
are all sitting on a shelf in my garage.  In my mind, I have already
paid my MPEG license fees.