[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jun 20 20:02:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:00:56PM -0700, Srikant Sharma wrote:
>    I assume their (zap2it/TMS) major complaint is the abuse of their facility
>    and the load on their servers.

I believe this not to be their primary complaint.

As I understand it, their primary complaint (about MythTV users, at
least) appears to be that commercial packagers of Myth were setting up
cookie-cutter boxes and selling them to end users with (presumably) the
*same* Z2L account configured into them.

Since Z2L's motivation for giving it away for free (aside from the
screen scraping problem) was that it provided them useful penetration
numbers and research, which this practice interfered with -- and since
they *charge* commercial PVR software makers for that privilege -- they
were annoyed.

Cheers,
-- jra