[mythtv-users] EIT data

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Jun 20 18:45:53 UTC 2007

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> Given all the discussion around Zap2it today, I was thinking that maybe
> looking into using EIT would be a good thing. However, I am having
> trouble coming up with answers to some of my questions. If anyone out
> there can fill me in, I'll consolidate the answers and ensure they make
> it into the Wiki's EIT page.
>
> Here goes...
>
> 1) Is EIT information available for analog channels, or is it only
> available in DVB/ATSC/MPEG-(TS? PS?) streams?

AFAIK, in Canada anyway, there is no EIT info on analog channels.
> 2) For non-satellite transmissions, does each channel have to be tuned
> to gather EIT? Can it be gathered per-Transport Stream, or does each
> channel have to be tuned individually?

Unknown, but the data probably isn't there.
> 3) Do some cable providers perform some sort of aggregation like the
> satellite providers?

I believe so, for digital cable there must be a 'listings' channel,
otherwise how would the EPG know what data is available? I think Silicon
Dust (the developers of the HDHR) are trying to figure out the streams
on that channel for SA headend networks.

Tom