[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:05:44 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:43:46AM -0600, Craig Partin wrote:
> > If they are shutting off the service that they started to prevent
> > scraping; does that mean that they have a way to prevent scraping via
> > some other means?
>
> Of course it doesn't mean that.  If you post it, *someone* can scrape
> it, if they're motivated enough.  Raw factual directory data (which
> this is) isn't copyrightable anyway; Feist v Rural makes that pretty
> clear.  If there's *creative* writing in the episode descriptions, then
> maybe, but IANAL.

Yes, but they can make contractual restrictions through terms of
service that prohibit screen scraping.  While it is not a technical
means to prevent screen scraping, although I have no doubt they would
constantly change the system to frustrate screen scrapers, creating an
"arms war" of who can respond quicker, this is a legal means that TMS
has at its disposal.